The Sales Engineer is a critical position within Lemartec’s Building Systems Division. Sales Engineers are responsible for using design principles in evaluating bid specifications and drawings, ensuring that we know everything required to successfully bid and win the project. They must use the industry’s leading software, VP Command, to model and estimate projects. Additionally they should be able to perform some design for cranes, mezzanines, support beams, etc. to provide member sizes that can be sourced and fabricated locally. Sales Engineers should also work with the Estimators and Project Management teams to follow-up on bids and budgets to close the business.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Solicits and maintains communication with subcontractors and vendors
• Prepares subcontractor bid packages
• Transmits addenda and other bid information to subcontractors
• Ensures that we have the proper coverage from subcontractors on bid day
• Contacts vendors to obtain additional subcontractor bids
• Shows creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subcontractors
• Submits 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline
• Enters all relevant information into Lemartec’s systems
• Attend project meetings/huddles as needed to communicate project requirements
• Review bid requirements thoroughly and asks follow-up question on every bid
• Has a thorough understanding of the scope for pre-engineered metal buildings and accessories
• Develops RFI's and clarifications and ensure adequate subcontractor coverage
• Performs a comprehensive "bid day" analysis and scoping of specific assigned trades
• Understands how to fit subs to the size/scope of project
• Creates bid lists that fit scope of job, ensuring that we have the right subs for the project
• Minimize exclusions by “doing our homework”
• Include value-engineering ideas on every bid
• Has a working knowledge of local building codes and can generate savings by suggesting alternative loading suggestions
Follow up & closing
• Consistently follows up on submitted bids and budgets with Architect and/or Construction Manager to close business.
• Knows architects, construction managers, property managers, brokers and discuss business
• Work with CSI professionals in developing specifications for pre-engineered buildings
• Properly turns over bid documents and sub buyout information to Project Management in a timely manner.
• Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight areas of concern
• Review job cost with Project Management team and highlight any subs/material vendors that still need to be awarded
• Complete project kick-off form to ensure compliance
• Ensures that subs are aware of (and commit to) the project schedule
• Provide subs with as much information as possible (PM, Super, permit status, etc.)
• Seeks & qualifies new subcontractors
• Holds subcontractors to the Lemartec standards and expectations of relationship-driven
Estimating - The Build Long Term Relationships
• Develop personal / social relationships with Each Client
• Handle all subcontractor interactions in a manner designed to build a long term relationship.
• Develop personal / social relationships with selective subcontractors.
• Have a working knowledge of value engineering ideas for pre-engineered structures.
Operate as One Team
• Build strong win-win relationships with other departments within Lemartec, including project management, marketing, business development, accounting, and superintendents.
• Act as a conduit for PM’s and VP office communication on issues as needed
• Work with the Director/Manager of the Building System Division to become a national leader in PEMB solutions
Go the Extra Mile
• Do whatever it takes to ensure that Lemartec bids and proposals are competitive and have the greatest chance of winning. This may require the employee to arrive early, stay late, or perform tasks not specifically outlined in the job description.
• Double-check all critical work deliverables to minimize mistakes.
Never Stop Improving
• Initiate personal development program to build professional and managerial skills.
• Pursue professional accreditations such as EIT or PE.
• Read local business and relevant construction trade publications.
• Initiate suggestions for company-wide process improvements.
• Research and maintain technological excellence in their work environment.
Engineer Win-Win Solutions
• Develop creative solutions to problems.
• Identify creative ways to deliver additional profit if possible.
• Complete all activities with a pride of ownership “as if it was your name on the door.”
• Participate in company-wide events, such as meetings, socials, etc.
• Demonstrate adherence to and performance in keeping with the goals of Lemartec Equal Employment Opportunity Policy and Affirmative Action obligations.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
• Minimum 2-5 years of increasing experience working in construction estimating environment
• Proven ability to manage projects/activities in a dynamic, fast, paced environment
• BSCE or equivalent college degree
• Must know/learn Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, VP Command
• Must be able to use structural design software to size basic members
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Must be self-motivated & punctual.
• Must be able to manage multiple tasks and have excellent follow up skills both internally and externally.
• Must be professional and polished in appearance and speech.
In addition to the above listed minimum requirements, candidates who poses the following skills, experience, and capabilities may receive greater consideration during the evaluation process:
• Bilingual (English/Spanish)
• Previous Building System Experience
• Professional Engineer registration
• Experience with project management, scheduling, CAD and/or BIM software
• Experience using CRM software